Vlog: Chicken and Pineapple Soup



Chicken and Pineapple Soup

A Book of Unusual Soups (1922)
Original Recipe
1 large pineapple
¾ cup honey
3 pints of stock
Juice of 1 lemon
Chicken Forcemeat
Select a large, very ripe pineapple. Wash and cut it into quarters and pour over them ¾ cupful of honey. Core, pare, and slice the quarters. Chop the pineapple core and parings and boil for an hour in three pints of stock. Pour over the sliced pineapple. Cool, add the juice of one lemon. Serve a slice of pine with each helping o the soup. Six or more servings. Or if preferred, the slices may be chopped or rated before going into the tureen, and afterwards strained out, serving the liquid alone.
Garnishes: Steamed Quenelles of Chicken Forcemeat.
Did we eat it? Yes
Would I make it again? Yes
Notes: I used much less honey. If you make it, find the right amount for you. I boiled the pineapple in the broth (not the core and parings). I used my own recipe for chicken meatballs. I had tried the forcemeat recipe for another soup and wasn't that crazy about it. Instead of cooking the meatballs on their own, I cooked them right in the soup. For a little more substance, when I reheated the leftovers I added some rice. Not for everyone, but I really like the taste of cooked pineapple. If you do too, you might enjoy this soup.
Video version
1 large pineapple, quartered and chopped
¼ cup honey (Start with less and taste test before you put in the meat balls.)
6 cups stock
Juice of 1 lemon.
½ cup of rice (optional)
Combine the pineapple, honey, lemon and stock. Place in chicken meatballs. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour. Add cooked rice (optional).

Antique Recipe Collections
HearthRecipes.com

In Times of Uncertainty, Pray

Comments